Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Unbelievable!

Image result for guinea pig
I work in a large hardware store.  Yesterday, I saw a strange sight.  A little girl was holding a guinea pig in a piece of cloth.  Later, the girl, the guinea pig, and, I assume, her parents approached me.  The man had a question for me.  I noticed that the girl hit the guinea pig on the face at least a few times.  She did this with the palm of her hand.  I didn't say anything, for which I am ashamed of myself.  I should have said something.  I don't know much about guinea pigs.  The guinea pig did not make a noise while this was happening, nor did she try to squirm away.  Maybe she didn't hit her hard.  It's no excuse.  I was at work.  Fear of being fired may have been the reason why I didn't act.  That is my only explanation.  But I was a coward.  I have said things to other people before about how they, or their kids, are treating animals.  Animals need people to take a stand and help them when they need it.  I let that tiny, defenseless animal down.  Is she living a life of fear and pain, because this little girl is terrorizing her?  Do the parents not care if the girl treats the guinea pig like a toy, and not a living animal that can feel pain and fear?  And, once again, there is another reason to not bring kids into this world.  Many of them abuse, terrorize, and torture animals.
I had hoped I would get another chance, but I didn't see that family again.  If I do see them again, I hope I will have the courage to say something.  The man was a tough-looking, muscle-bound guy, but I shouldn't be afraid.  Right is right, and wrong is wrong.     
But, again, as an animal lover, how can I possibly enjoy myself while tons of horrible shit is happening to animals all the time?
 

3 comments:

  1. Animals are more humane than people. It's a sad truth. I see this more every day.

    Anyway, you did nothing wrong. You had your job to think about. I once saw a (former) friend flush a live goldfish down the toilet because he was too lazy to care for it anymore.

    When I asked him how he would feel about his life ending in such a deliberate and cruel way, all he could do was shake his head and call me a nut. End of friendship.

    The DVD about A Street Cat Called Bob is now waiting for me at the library: I can't wait to see it! Were you able to find the book (most libraries have it)?

    Don't question what happened to you at work recently: In today's cruel and insane society, you did the best you could do.

    Let me know if you found the book or DVD,

    Dylan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dylan. Based on your recommendation, I finished reading Bob yesterday. I really enjoyed it. Of course, I felt the need to see video of him, so I did. It's a great story. As a result of helping Bob, James obviously helped himself in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to learn this! I'll be picking up the DVD tomorrow. I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete

Just in Case

if you're here from twitter because i stopped posting, i ask that you NOT ask twitter or anyone to do a wellness check on me. i wouldn&#...