Friday, October 27, 2017

The Acorn Relocation Program

Image result for squirrel eating an acorn
I love squirrels.  I used to feed a squirrel, Nutsie, who lived in my apartment complex.  I only fed her pure nuts.  She knew me.  She'd chase me.  She'd come right up to me to be fed.  She even touched my shoe with her face.  Then I stopped seeing her, so she either left or died.
I have mixed feelings about feeding wildlife.  Many people think it shouldn't be done.  I understand that.  Many people feed unhealthy food to animals.  As I just mentioned, I haven't done that (as an adult.  As a kid, different story.).  I've seen neighbors feeding white bread to birds and squirrels.  I wouldn't do that.  I wouldn't even buy white bread, cause I wouldn't eat it myself.  But even if you're feeding animals healthy, natural food, it can be a problem.  You could affect the natural order of things.  What if, by feeding wild animals, they procreated more, because food was so plentiful?  And then, what if I stopped giving them food, or gave them less?  Or what if I moved?  Then, perhaps, they would really miss the food that I had been supplying.  It could end up hurting them, which, of course, I don't want to do.
Regardless, I can't help participating in the Acorn Relocation Program.  I can't recall having seen any acorns in my apartment complex (That I didn't put there.).  Squirrels live here, though.  When I go for a walk, I'm on the lookout for acorns.  When I find some, I pick them up and put them into the plastic bag I brought with me.  Sometimes I gather quite a few of them.  Then, once I'm back home, I throw the acorns onto a patch of grass that is located in front of my windows. 
It doesn't take the squirrels long to find the acorns.  It's a lot of fun to watch them, and that's why I do it.  It brings some joy into my nearly joyless life.  The other day, after putting lots of acorns out for the squirrels, 3 of them were all over the treats.  They get so excited.  They grab an acorn, then dash off to bury it.  I read somewhere that, according to a study, squirrels are good at remembering where they have buried stuff.  I hope so.  The squirrels around here have buried a lot of acorns.      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just in Case

if you're here from twitter because i stopped posting, i ask that you NOT ask twitter or anyone to do a wellness check on me. i wouldn&#...