Tuesday, December 13, 2011

My Squirrels

Is that a squirrel penis, or is it a vagina?
I suppose they have become my squirrels.  "My" squirrels certainly doesn't imply ownership.  As far as I'm concerned, sentient beings cannot be owned in any way, shape, or form.  I mean "my" in the same sense as my friends or my children.  If they didn't before, they know where I live now.  I have named the one who doesn't hesitate to approach me whenever she sees me: Sammy.  Sammy the squirrel works on at least a couple of levels.  I believe it is a good name for a squirrel, and even though I refer to her as a female, I have no idea what the sex of any of these squirrels may be, their genitals are probably quite small, and Sammy can be a name for a boy or girl.  In fact, there is a young woman at my place of work whose name is Sam.
Yesterday, I came home from work, and, as I was approaching my building, they descended upon me.  Sammy came closest, while two other squirrels kept their eyes on me, albeit from distances which they were comfortable with.  I didn't have any nuts on me, but there were some in my apartment that had been earmarked for my squirrel friends.
"Just wait right here," I said to Sammy.  "I've got some nuts inside, and I'll come back out with them real soon."  When I came down the stairs of my building, I noticed that a squirrel, probably Sammy, was perched on a rail that was just outside the front door.  This lofty position probably allowed her to peer inside the window to look for me; I believe that is what she had been doing.  She had waited for me!  This time I had pure, inside-the-shell pecans for them.  As she saw me approaching, she left the rail and retreated a bit to the sidewalk.  I tossed one to her.  She immediately seized it and hopped off to enjoy it, presumably before any of the other squirrels could try to take it from her.  After all, they are as wild as they are cute.  So I tossed another pecan to the closest squirrel.  Unfortunately, the other one went after it as well, and there was a very brief skirmish which caused one or both of them to squeal.
"Don't fight!" I yelled at them.  Both of them immediately froze when I did that.  I didn't want to scare them, but I certainly didn't want them to hurt each other, especially over the nuts that I had given them.  I yelled so loudly that my voice echoed back to me.  I resumed tossing nuts to them.  They both received one and promptly left the area, much the way Sammy had done.  I stood there for a few moments with my open nut bag until I realized that this feeding session was pretty much over.  The only squirrels in sight were hopping off with pecans.
After some research on the Internet, I concluded that I could expand the variety of nuts I'd been giving them to include pecans and hazelnuts.  I had given them hazelnuts the day before.
This business of squirrels being aggressive toward each other over the nuts I'd given them has had me concerned from the start.  Then I recalled that I'd witnessed plenty of aggression between squirrels before I ever fed one.  They're wild, and some of them are bullies.  I suppose every species has its bullies. They'd rather take from another then go out and find their own, which is rather like the way that many people are.  This has always been a brutal world, and it probably always will be.  Logically, being aggressive is how many animals instinctively survive.  The nuts that I feed them probably aren't going to turn them into Mother Theresa's, but they probably won't turn them into Adolf Hitlers either.      

     

1 comment:

Just in Case

if you're here from twitter because i stopped posting, i ask that you NOT ask twitter or anyone to do a wellness check on me. i wouldn&#...