Friday, December 23, 2011

Be Different; Don't Have Kids

Young Groundhog in Love
I mean don't bring them into this world.  People who adopt, whether humans or animals, and are exemplary adoptive parents, are heroes because they give a home to someone who needs one.  People who adopt human children, as far as I'm concerned, "clean up someone else's mess," which means they pick up the ball after a biological parent has dropped it (so to speak).  I have very strong feelings about biological parenthood.  I have never impregnated a woman, and therefore never brought someone into this wicked world, and I am very proud of that.
Why do so many people bring other people into this world?  This planet has been plagued with brutality and misery from the beginning.  The strong and vicious have been preying on the weak and timid from the get-go.  What must we deal with in our lifetimes?  Pain, bullying, intimidation, ridicule, humiliation, insults, job loss, threat of violence, threat of horrible fates like becoming paralyzed, sickness, disease, injury, deterioration of mind and body as a result of old age, death of friends and loved ones, and, ultimately, one's own death.
Uh-uh.  Not good enough for my kids: my kids that don't exist.  I refuse to bring my kids into this world.  So many things could happen to them.  As children, they could be abducted, raped, tortured, and murdered.  It has happened to many children.  Why would I bring them into a world where this horrible scenario is a distinct possibility?
Because I'm not selfish enough to do so.  I suspected that the reason why many people become biological parents is because they are selfish.  Perhaps they are unhappy, and they feel a cute little baby will cheer them up or give them a reason to live.  Then there's the reason that, unsolicited, was presented to me at my workplace.  A coworker asked me if I had kids, and I said no.  Then she asked me if I wanted to have kids, and I said no.  Then she asked me, "Don't you want to have someone to take care of you when you get older?"
There it was: selfishness on display.  According to my coworker, I should have kids for my sake, not theirs.  They should have to suffer in this hateful world until it's time for them to take care of me.  I disagree with such a notion.  That's why it's obvious to me that I care more about my (nonexistent) children than ANY biological parent cares about their kids.   
Overpopulation, what a problem.  Oil will run out at some point and so will clean drinking water.  People who can't even support themselves are bringing children into this world, that, of course, they can't support.  The more people there are in this world, the worse it is for the animals who share it with us.  We knock down more wilderness, driving the animals who live there out of their homes, so we can build more buildings for ourselves.  Meat-eaters will raise more meat-eaters, insuring that animals will continue to be enslaved under concentration camp-like conditions.  We take everything from them: a chance to live natural lives, follow their natural instincts, and be content, their freedom, their lives, and their dead bodies.  We have created a nightmare world for Earth's animals.  Even if everyone suddenly gave a damn about animals, became vegan, and demanded that all livestock be freed immediately, it obviously couldn't be done because road kills would increase exponentially. 
Granted, my own experience in life colors my attitudes about life on Earth.  I have been afflicted with depression and OCD.  I am the result of a teen pregnancy, and my father had left our little family by the time I was two years old.  But when approximately one million people commit suicide worldwide every year, I'm not the only one who isn't happy as a clam.  If you really want to have a kid (or a pet), and you're willing to do whatever it takes to be an exceptional parent, I implore you to adopt.  It really is the right thing to do.        

2 comments:

  1. Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who was adopted, I certainly agree with your sentiment that many people are not fit to be parents. I don’t think, however, that it can be entirely reduced to selfishness in all cases.

    ReplyDelete

Just in Case

if you're here from twitter because i stopped posting, i ask that you NOT ask twitter or anyone to do a wellness check on me. i wouldn&#...