Monday, March 19, 2012

Suicide

A Crude Noose
It's an epidemic, and I suppose it always has been.  It's always one of the leading causes of death.  Yet it's something that gets swept neatly under the carpet.  Many suicides occur everyday, but the media usually doesn't report them unless a celebrity was involved.  They are routinely covered up by friends and family members who wish to hide the true cause of death.
If someone killed him or herself because he or she was miserable, and he or she was basically a decent person, then I wouldn't even think of insulting the memory of this person in any way, shape, or form.  It's a horrible choice to have to make.  In a perfect world, no one would even have to consider it.  Unfortunately, many people are miserable on a daily, or near daily, basis.  I believe firmly that everyone has the right to take his or her own life.  There are exceptions, however.  If you have kids, especially young ones, I believe it is wrong to kill yourself.  If someone has at least one pet, then I likewise think it's wrong for such a person to commit suicide.  If you have no kids and no pets, then it's your life, and it's up to you.  It's a hell of an ugly thing though.  The way I see it, it's the mind killing the body.  The mind wants to die, but in many cases, the body will struggle to survive during a suicide attempt.  It will thrash around at the end of a noose or frantically try to avoid drowning for instance.
Over one million people commit suicide every year.
I used to think that George Carlin was the best stand-up comedian of all time.  I no longer think that.  He was always cynical, but he eventually became super cynical.  In the last HBO special of his I saw, he made fun of people who have depression, and he even made fun of people who have committed suicide.  The idiots in the audience just kept laughing: not me.  That was where I stopped laughing.  I really don't see the humor in laughing at people who are suffering, especially those who have resorted to such extreme, unpleasant, and final means to end their pain.

2 comments:

  1. sometimes is better to take the death with humor, sometimes is just a way to close our eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My half brother committed suicide last month. My other half brother was charged with putting away the stepladder that was used in the former’s hanging. What a cruel, tragic business.

    ReplyDelete

Just in Case

if you're here from twitter because i stopped posting, i ask that you NOT ask twitter or anyone to do a wellness check on me. i wouldn&#...