Sunday, August 5, 2012

Where's Sheila?

Where have you gone, Sheila?  Please come back.  I miss you.
A few days ago, it occurred to me that I haven't seen Sheila in a while.  I think it's been at least two weeks since I've seen her.  I'm worried about her.  I can think of three possible explanations for her absence.  As I've mentioned before, I've seen her attack her daughters twice.  The girls just keep growing; they're not babies anymore.  Lucinda, in particular, has put on a lot of weight.  I thought Sheila was the chubbiest groundhog I'd ever seen.  I'm pretty sure Lucinda has surpassed her in that department.  Maybe Sheila lashed out at one of her girls and one or more of them fought back and drove her away.  Perhaps, since the girls are growing so quickly, the family hole was no longer large enough to comfortably house all four of them, so Sheila, realizing that she had successfully raised three self-sufficient daughters, left for greener pastures and more space in her living quarters.  Another possibility is that she has died.  I hope that's not the case: unless she wanted to die, but I doubt that she did.  I suppose that groundhogs don't know what death is.  They probably don't know that they're going to die.  I have considered walking over to the family hole and looking inside for her, but I don't think I'll be able to do that.  What if I saw her dead body?  I don't want to see that.  I also might scare the hell out of one or more of the girls if I did that.
As I've mentioned before, I love all animals, and that certainly includes every single groundhog.  They are so cute.  But Sheila will always be my first groundhog love.  She's my first groundhog neighbor.  I saw her outside my windows several times before realizing that she lived in a hole right next to the building I live in.  Then she brought those three babies into my life, for which I will be eternally grateful to her.  Since she attacked her daughters, I suppose she isn't the perfect mother.  However, in fairness to her, I really think that she was trying to toughen them up and teach them to not be too trusting of other groundhogs when outside the safety of the family hole.
I would love to see Sheila come back.  I think that, at this point, it's unlikely.  I've never gone this long without seeing her before: not even close.  Sadly, I feel like I've seen her for the last time.  All I have now are pictures, memories, and wishes for her return.  Wherever she is, I hope she's happy.

1 comment:

Just in Case

if you're here from twitter because i stopped posting, i ask that you NOT ask twitter or anyone to do a wellness check on me. i wouldn&#...