Monday, January 9, 2017

Fuck American Football

Image result for nfl
One of the most annoying things one has to deal with in this country is the popularity of American football, which I couldn't care less about.  As a lover of animals, I'm truly offended that the average American cares so much more about these meaningless football games than the extreme, widespread suffering that people are forcing animals to endure.
At work, I've seen guys standing around, talking so seriously about football, as though it mattered more than nothing, which it doesn't.  The only people that should care about football are those who are profiting from it: the players, coaches, owners, commentators, etc. 
It's not as though I never cared about it.  I was a big sports fan when I was a kid.  Then, one year, my baseball team, the Yankees, won the World Series again.  I watched the players jumping around like happy children, and it did nothing for me.  What happens when "your team" wins?  Does a million dollars get directly deposited into your bank account?  Of course not.  I essentially went from being a pro sports fan to not caring about it at all in that moment.
At work one day, in the break room, a coworker was watching a football game on TV, but that wasn't enough.  He felt the need to talk to me about the game, even though I was trying to read a book.  Apparently, the book in my hands wasn't enough of a clue that I didn't give a fuck about the game.
Football is boring.  The playoff game that my coworkers were going crazy over yesterday wasn't even close.  One team clobbered another.  How many times has a quarterback handed the ball off to a running back, who ran for a few yards before being tackled?  Over and over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just in Case

if you're here from twitter because i stopped posting, i ask that you NOT ask twitter or anyone to do a wellness check on me. i wouldn&#...