Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I Hate Remakes

They can't remake this original: Bumpkin.
I really do.  It's such a shame that, apparently, there's so little originality left when it comes to making movies.  At this point, I can't imagine being surprised upon finding out about any given remake in the works.  Citizen Kane, starring Zac Efron, sure, why the hell not?  I'm not going to watch it anyway.  I mean, they remade Footloose for God's sake!  Footloose!  Was that really necessary?  And as a fan of horror movies, I'm sickened by the vast majority of the remakes of genre classics.  I like Rob Zombie, but his Halloween wasn't half as good as the original.  That's what happens when you take on one of the very best horror films of all time.  It's the same thing with Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Omen.  When The Omen came out, a coworker of mine saw it and raved about it. 
"They really didn't change it much at all," he said gushingly.
Really?  Then what was the point of remaking it?  If you want to see The Omen, then why not just watch the original?
"I love this movie.  They should remake it," I've heard a coworker of mine say that several times.
Why?  If you love that movie, then watch it when you feel like it.  When people are fed shit often enough, I think they begin to like it.
Occasionally, a remake is pretty good: like Dawn of the Dead.  It's good, but as far as I'm concerned, George Romero's original version is better.  So, ultimately, what was the point?  Undoubtedly a cash grab.  They pump out the remakes for the same reason why people have attempted to make hit songs using other people's hit songs.  You take a proven winner and try to make it win again.  I don't go to the movies anymore anyway.  When I did, I always seemed to be sitting in front of the jerk off who liked kicking the seat in front of him for the duration of the film.  Additionally, I hate cell phones.  If I heard one go off in a movie theater, then they might be making a movie about the guy who killed someone in a movie theater because he didn't turn his cell phone off.  Perhaps De Niro or Bruce Willis would play me.  At least it would be original material.

1 comment:

  1. You should write a movie about squirrels! Love the quote: “You take a proven winner and try to make it win again.”

    ReplyDelete

Just in Case

if you're here from twitter because i stopped posting, i ask that you NOT ask twitter or anyone to do a wellness check on me. i wouldn&#...