Sunday, July 13, 2014

I'll Never Stop Trying

A family
Eating meat is wrong.  I'm sure of it.  There are a lot of grey areas out there.  But I'm convinced that it's wrong to eat meat.  I've written this before, and nothing has changed.  There are exceptions.  I wouldn't criticize a mentally disabled person for eating meat.  I wouldn't criticize certain people, who only know hunting and living off the land as means of survival, for eating meat: nor the very young or very old.  But, I firmly believe that the vast majority of people in this world are wrong to eat meat. 
Last night, I spent time with friends at a friend's house that's right on Lake Ontario.  It's a beautiful place to be.  I love it there.  I had a great time.  There was a bonfire, which I love.  It was a great night.  A man came to the house that I don't know well.  He's a nice guy.  I thought I had met him once before, but he seemed to think it was more than that: no matter.  We got along quite well.  I don't recall exactly how, but the subject of meat and/or my veganism came up in the conversation.  I relished the opportunity to let someone know that I think it's wrong to eat meat.  However, this time, I remembered that you can get more flies with honey than with vinegar.  I was determined to not get angry: or at least to not display any anger.  I drank, so it's a little bit fuzzy, but we had a good conversation about the subject.  I mentioned that I feel all the animals of the world are my sisters and brothers, and I really do feel that way.  I recall that he disagreed with me with a smile on his face.  It seemed to not matter what I said,  he just didn't feel the same way about animals that I do.  The last time I had a discussion about this subject, I yelled at my friend and pissed him off enough for him to avoid me for over a month.  That's not what happened this time.  The conversation never became heated.  He flashed his pearly white smile the whole time (I wonder if those teeth are real.).  Anyway, I tried.  I tried to get my point across in a civilized manner.  Gandhi and Martin Luther King were not known for being angry jerks.  They knew it wasn't a good idea to be like that.  They wanted to change the world, and they did.  They are real heroes.      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just in Case

if you're here from twitter because i stopped posting, i ask that you NOT ask twitter or anyone to do a wellness check on me. i wouldn&#...