Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Bald Vegan


The bald vegan eats neither bunnies nor baby groundhogs
I want this to be a fun blog, but I can't help trying to make a difference in the lives of animals.  They need so much help.  People continue to be completely outraged by the (human) holocaust.  Unfortunately, countless animals have been enduring their own holocaust for many years now, and still it continues.  And if you're offended that I'm comparing the plight of animals to the holocaust, then you have offended me, because you obviously think that the lives of people matter, and the lives of animals do not.  I wouldn't say the following about anyone who's physically or mentally handicapped, dealing with a major disease like cancer, elderly to the point of being hopelessly set in their ways, or children.  So this is for everyone else; anyone who eats meat is either ignorant or selfish.  You're either ignorant of the suffering that you are causing in the animal world, or you know about it, and you just don't care, which would make you selfish.  Virtually no one needs to eat meat.  Therefore, the eating of it is a selfish and destructive act.
It's even more selfish when you consider what Peter Singer wrote in his classic Animal Liberation.  This one piece of information blew my mind.  If everyone stopped eating meat, we could end world hunger.  Vast amounts of acres are taken up by food which is grown for pigs, cows, chickens, etc.  If we ceased to intentionally bring these animals into this world for the purposes of our consumption, then all that food that would have gone to the animals can now be used to feed hungry people.  I'm not suggesting starving the existing livestock.  But if most people stopped eating meat, it would greatly reduce the demand for animal flesh, so less animals would be brought into the world to eat the staggering amounts of food grown for them.  This makes the extra food available for human consumption.  Obviously, we could easily control animal populations by separating males from females.
I really don't anticipate posting recipes and stuff like that.  I'm pretty sure there's plenty of that around anyway.  Besides, I don't cook.  I just heat things up.  I'm sure I'm coming off like a jerk to some degree, but I can't help it.  I've seen the footage of animals suffering, and I've read books about it.  It angers me to know that so many people could help put an end to it, but they obviously don't care.  The animal rights movement has been going on for a long time now, and I suppose that people have been against animal abuse as long as people have existed.  But we've always been too small of a minority: too easy to ignore or ridicule.  Change is necessary.  Minorities, women, and gay people have all had to fight for the rights that they should have had in the first place.  Animals, especially food animals, don't really have any rights and they are not able to fight for them.  Those of us who would fight for them need to be strong and persistent.  Baby steps are not enough.  Baby steps are what have been made for over a hundred years now and the animals are still trapped in hell.  If you eat meat, then I implore you to become a vegetarian.  It's not just good for the animals, it's good for your health.  Omitting eggs from your diet is the next easy step.  Giving up foods that have milk in them was the hardest part of becoming vegan for me.  I prefer milk chocolate to dark chocolate and I love the flavor of mozzarella cheese.  But vegans have many delicious options to choose from.  Besides, if you're an adult, shouldn't you have some discipline when it comes to what you eat?  

1 comment:

  1. Becoming a vegetarian/vegan seems like a worthwhile sacrifice to make. Giving up personal taste and convenience for a reduction in animal suffering. Sounds like I’ve got to read Singer’s book.

    ReplyDelete

Just in Case

if you're here from twitter because i stopped posting, i ask that you NOT ask twitter or anyone to do a wellness check on me. i wouldn&#...