Saturday, September 29, 2012

Bumpkin's Pumpkins

This is not a pumpkin; this is Bumpkin!
I was driving Bumpkin to a nursery to get some sod for her when she saw it: a pumpkin patch.
"What are those?" she asked me telepathically.
"Pumpkins."
"They are not me.  There is only one Bumpkin, and that's me.  By the way, are you trying to say I'm round and fat like those things?  I hope not: for your sake."
"No, Bumpkin, I meant no disrespect.  I said they're pumpkins: not bumpkins.  They sound the same; they rhyme perfectly, but they are indeed completely different.  Some things sound alike, but it's just a coincidence."
"I like them."  She demonstrated her fondness for the pumpkins by using her superpowers to lift all of them off the ground.  They were now following us.  There must have been over a hundred of them.
"Ah, Bumpkin, what you did with those pumpkins, it's called stealing.  The police have a problem with stealing."
"Am I not the freaking mayor of this poopy city?"
"You sure are, ma'am.  And you're the county executive too, for that matter.  For the record, I have no problem whatsoever with you taking those pumpkins.  But mayors and county executives aren't allowed to just take whatever they want without paying for them."
"Why didn't you tell me they needed to be paid for?  Consider it done."  Right after she said that, I saw wallets and purses flying out of windows of the cars in front of me.  I looked around and saw it was happening behind us too.  Bumpkin used her powers to extract the cash from the wallets and purses and send it to the empty pumpkin patch.  The pumpkin patch's employees, who had come out to see what happened to the pumpkins, now scrambled to grab the cash that Bumpkin had sent to them.  The money continued to rain onto the empty patch.
"I think you've probably given them enough money, Bumpkin.  Pumpkins aren't every expensive."
A driver suddenly cut me off: badly.  I told myself I should do my very best to suppress my road rage, especially when Bumpkin is in the car, because she won't hesitate to use her powers in such a situation.
"You jerk!" slipped out before I could stop it.  Instantly, one of the pumpkins smashed into the rear window of the car and shattered it.  The car swerved sharply, went off the road, and hit a tree.
After we bought some sod for Bumpkin, we went home.  Bumpkin set her pumpkins down on the apartment grounds.  They were everywhere.  It was very festive.  Although I couldn't help wondering what Bumpkin would do to the maintenance workers when they inevitably moved them so they could cut the grass.

1 comment:

Just in Case

if you're here from twitter because i stopped posting, i ask that you NOT ask twitter or anyone to do a wellness check on me. i wouldn&#...