Saturday, June 22, 2013

Good Deed for the Day

I won't let them hurt my groundhog friends.
We should be guardian angels for all the animals out there who need our help.  I heard some kids talking.  Their voices were coming from an area that contains the hole/home for a mother and her 5 baby groundhogs.  I had to see what they were doing.  I looked out the window.  They were throwing rocks and glass toward the hole.  I said "Leave them alone!"  The kids looked at me.  "What are you doing?"  I asked.
"Filling it up," said one of the kids.
I said, "No, don't do that.  There are little animals living in there.  Leave them alone."   The oldest of the kids looked at me with what seemed to be defiance, but I think they listened to me.  Then they ran off to somewhere else.
I had to go down and see if things were okay for my groundhog friends.   It wasn't okay.  The kids had thrown many rocks, pieces of glass, and sticks into the hole.  I can't believe how efficiently they blocked the hole.  Of course I removed as much as I could, and I tossed the rocks and glass underneath a nearby bush, because this was the second time I saw people throwing rocks at groundhogs, so if I hide them, maybe they'll have nothing to throw at them.
It must have been a very traumatic experience for my groundhog friends.  These kids put so much debris in that hole, and blocked it so completely, that if they couldn't dig their ways out, they might have starved to death.  Maybe they'd even be forced to cannibalize each other. 
So you see how animals can use our help.  Everything happens for a reason.  It's not just chance that I, someone who loves animals, would live right next to a groundhog hole.  I am my brother's keeper.  I think only one groundhog has come out so far today.  Poor things must be terrorized.  It's such a shame that people, especially kids, would attack animals.  It's such typically crappy human behavior. 
Anyway, maybe I'll have a chance to do more good things, but I've guess I've done at least one good deed today.  I got those kids to leave the groundhogs alone, and I cleared lots of rocks and glass out of their way so they could get out the usual way.  Try to do good deeds for animals, it feels good.

1 comment:

Just in Case

if you're here from twitter because i stopped posting, i ask that you NOT ask twitter or anyone to do a wellness check on me. i wouldn&#...