Sunday, June 30, 2013

Groundhog Chronicles

A young groundhog
I've seen some strange stuff in the groundhog world lately.  Unfortunately, the mother groundhog chased one of her kids around.  It might be real aggressive behavior, but I've seen the same thing, a generation ago, when Sheila attacked Sloopy.  Then I saw a bird perched on a groundhog's back for possibly close to a minute.  I can't stand mean birds stalking groundhogs.  Birds love to attack cute little groundhogs, and they're too loud, they need to get their act together.  I have, in the past, assumed the birds were just bullying the groundhogs.  But it seems possible that the birds are eating bugs/parasites off of the groundhogs.
Another strange thing I saw was the mother doing a little maintenance on the family hole in the ground.  I saw her digging dirt out of the hole.  She also seemed to go under the bush where I hid all the rocks and glass, so people wouldn't throw them at groundhogs, and she dragged most of it out to put around the hole/home.  I think she's trying to protect their home, but she doesn't realize she's setting up bullies with things to throw at her and her kids.  It's a shame.  It's a shame she's setting them up, but more so for those who would take the bait.
Attacked by humans twice, that I know of, the groundhogs continue to flourish.  After all, they have my protection.  I'd gladly lay my life down for any one of the 6 groundhogs living around here.  They are great. I saw a couple of youngsters wrestling the other day.  They are so cute.  I watched them carefully.  I didn't want to see one dominating the other for sure.  What I was glad to see if that both of the groundhog wrestlers went on to their backs, the submission position, which, to me, meant that one wasn't dominating the other.  Maybe they love each other and are playing for fun.   They are so freakin' cute.  They get scared of lots of things.  Lots of noises and such, it sends them running to a bush near the building to hide.  I fully love all the groundhogs in the world.  I challenege you to treat animals as well as you can.  They live under our thumb, and we don't treat them well.  Things need to change.  Become vegetarian, it's easy, or vegan.

1 comment:

Just in Case

if you're here from twitter because i stopped posting, i ask that you NOT ask twitter or anyone to do a wellness check on me. i wouldn&#...