Sunday, June 29, 2014

She Broke My Heart

Where are you, mommy?
I had never heard such a sound before.  I was thinking that someone might be whistling.  It was a high-pitched sound.  I looked out my bedroom window.  I saw one of Veronica's young groundhogs sitting near her home: a hole in the ground (right next to the building I live in).  I realized she was making the sound.  She was yelping.  I believe she was calling out for her mama: Veronica.  I had seen her earlier that day.  She was in the same place, right next to the hole, and she was looking around.  She even stood up on her hind legs so she could see more.  But she probably did not see her mama, which is why she called out to her.  I can't be totally sure.  She might have been calling out to one of her sisters or brothers.  But my gut instinct told me she was summoning her mama.
Veronica is a wonderful mother.  She gave birth to 5 baby groundhogs this spring.  I've seen mother groundhogs attack their own children: not Veronica.  As far as what I've seen, she's only been good to her little rascals.  But I think that trouble arrived in the form of another adult groundhog.  I thought it was strange that Veronica didn't chase this invader away.  Mother groundhogs are usually very protective of their young.  I assumed she was intimidated by this groundhog.  Then I realized I hadn't seen Veronica in a while.  I believe this adult groundhog chased her away: away from her babies, which is why one of her daughters would cry out for her to come back.
Before I began to write this post, I could see 3 young uns eating grass and weeds.  I really believe that the adult groundhog around here is not mama Veronica.  Adults usually have missing fur: possibly where they've been attacked, and bitten, by other groundhogs.  I've taken pictures of Veronica, and I believe this adult is not her.  How is Veronica?  I worry about her.  What is the dynamic between this adult and the young uns?  I haven't seen this adult terrorize any of them, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened, and that it won't continue.  Is this adult living with the young uns?  I don't know.  It's anarchy out there.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just in Case

if you're here from twitter because i stopped posting, i ask that you NOT ask twitter or anyone to do a wellness check on me. i wouldn&#...