Saturday, May 12, 2012

Danny Rolling

This is not Danny Rolling; this is Bumpkin.
Like many people, I am fascinated with serial killers.  I recently read Helter Skelter and a book about the BTK strangler.  I plan to read at least two more books about serial killers after I'm done with what I'm reading now: a book about suicide.
The serial killer who I find to be most interesting is Danny Rolling.  In 1990, over the course of a few days, five of his victims were found.  Four of these victims were women.  As far as I know, most serial killers who kill women target prostitutes.  They're easier to kill, because you can find yourself alone with one shortly after meeting her.  Also, sadly, they are less likely to be missed.  This is why serial killers, like Gary Ridgway (The Green River Killer), are able to kill so many.  It's obvious that, throughout history, many prostitutes have been murdered.  This is part of what makes Rolling unique.  He killed five college students in Gainesville, Florida.  Students attending college in the area, their parents, and people living in and around Gainesville were terrified.  This wasn't supposed to be happening there, and it wasn't supposed to be happening to people like that.  Since Rolling was killing college students, the public undoubtedly put more pressure on the police to catch him.  Danny Rolling wasn't in it for the long haul.  
Rolling raped his female victims, then killed and mutilated them with a large hunting knife.  He posed their bodies to shock those who found them.  He decapitated one of his victims and put her head on a shelf.  According to what I read about the murders, he let his victims know what he was going to do to them before he did it.  As far as the male college student he killed, that seemed to be a wrong place at the wrong time sort of situation.  He was well over 6 feet tall, weighed over 200 pounds, and it was clear that, from all the defensive wounds he had sustained, he had fought hard for his life.
Rolling, in addition to being a killer, also expressed himself artistically.  On a TV show I watched about him, I briefly heard part of a song he wrote and performed; it sounded pretty good.  These were the lyrics I heard: "Mystery rider, what's your name?  You're a killer, a drifter gone insane."  If memory serves, he also wrote some poetry: "I'm everyone's worst nightmare come to life: a maniac with a knife."  Additionally, I've seen some of his drawings on the Internet: pretty good (creepy too).
Also on TV, I saw an interview with Rolling.  He was talking about when he got caught.  While smiling, he said, "great googly moogly."  Great googly moogly!  He was talking about getting caught for committing 5 incredibly brutal murders.  When I saw and heard that, I had one thought: sociopath.  Predictably, a woman fell in love with him after he was arrested.  That was another incredible moment: when he suddenly began to sing to her in court.
I don't like serial killers; I'm not a fan of theirs.  I just think they're interesting.  They're just another product of this sick society of ours.  Rolling, and his brother and mother, were beaten many times by his sick, abusive father.  Obviously, this is what can happen when people who have no business being parents become parents anyway.  They create monsters.              

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating folks. There’s a great documentary on Ted Bundy you may enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Just in Case

if you're here from twitter because i stopped posting, i ask that you NOT ask twitter or anyone to do a wellness check on me. i wouldn&#...