Saturday, May 5, 2012

I Hate Taking Care of My Teeth

One of my valued neighbors: Flopsy
I wish I didn't care if they all rotted right out of my big bald head.  But I do care, that's the problem.  I start by brushing my teeth after eating breakfast.  Then I gargle with mouthwash.  Then I gargle with a fluoride rinse.  After eating again, I brush my teeth again.  Then I floss.  Then I chew a couple of xylitol mints, which are supposedly good for oral health.  After eating for the third, and final, time of the day, I brush again.  Then I chew a couple more of the xylitol mints.  Approximately 12 hours after gargling with mouthwash for the first time that day, I do it again, followed by 2 more xylitol mints.
The worst part is flossing.  I hate flossing so much.  It's such a pain in the ass and a pain in the gums.  Since I have OCD, it makes it flossing even more of a pain in the ass.  That little annoying voice in my head is always ready to pipe up.  Did you floss between those teeth or not?  I think I did, but I'm not 100% sure, so I better make sure.
A dentist once recommended that I avoid sugar completely.  I have a lot of discipline when it comes to eating (I'm a vegan and I don't eat as much as I'd like to because I want to be slim.), but I'm not even close to being ready to avoid sugar altogether.  I don't know if I'll ever be able to do that.  Failing that, the dentist recommended flossing after eating or drinking anything that had sugar in it, which, I'm pretty sure, includes naturally sweet foods like bananas and strawberries, even though they contain no added sugar.  That means that I won't consume anything with sugar in it after I've flossed, and I usually floss in the morning.  I'd allow myself to eat or drink something with sugar in it if I were to floss again, but that's the point.  I don't want to floss again!  Once a day is my limit.  
I waste so much time taking care of my teeth.  And, of course, it's boring as hell.   To be or not to be, that is the question.  To take care of your teeth or not take care of your teeth, that's another question.  I might be better off just letting them rot.

1 comment:

Just in Case

if you're here from twitter because i stopped posting, i ask that you NOT ask twitter or anyone to do a wellness check on me. i wouldn&#...